From 29th March 2021, as long as there are no changes to the government roadmap, international travel for students travelling from England will be permitted on the basis of the following exemption:


From 29 March, if you are enrolled in a course of study at an educational institution outside the UK and it is necessary for you to leave the UK to attend that course, you can do so.

You are permitted to travel abroad if you study in the UK but you are required to travel outside the UK to satisfy one or more requirements of your course of study.

If you study in the UK but live abroad, you are permitted to travel outside the UK to return home for the purposes of a university vacation on one occasion before 29 April 2021.

Employees can still travel on essential business where it is not reasonably possible to work from home.

UMAL travel cover will apply to such travel in the usual way as long as the journey has been suitably risk assessed and authorised. Medical expenses arising out of Covid-19 are not excluded but there is no Covid-19 cover in respect of any claims under the Disruption section (cancellation, curtailment, rearrangement etc).

Travellers will be required to print off and complete a Declaration for International Travel and to carry it with them from the beginning of the journey. Forms can be found on the website:

The above guidance relates to England. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are subject to different regulations. Guidance for international travel to and from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland can be found at the following links:

Guidance for Scotland:

Guidance for Wales:

Northern Ireland: